Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The way it is

I haven't said anything in a while,
so I will tonight.

The world is a confusing place. In fact, it's a spinning ball. Is it any wonder we get lost sometimes?

I started to write something last week about journeys -- big and small. The example I used was my trip to Costa Rica, which had just been cut from three and a half weeks down to two. Then, though, something else came up, and it looks as if the whole trip is out the window. Suddenly with my example gone, I felt less inclined to write about the larger picture that my little vacation represented. The point, however, was this:

Sometimes we overcomplicate things. Sometimes we get so enmired in the details that we lose all perspective. In terms of a journey (large or small), it's easy to get so tangled up in the details, the stress, the logistics, the hows and whats, that we lose sight of why we wanted to take the journey in the first place. If you're taking a trip to Costa Rica because you want a vacation, you can lose yourself worrying safety, money, transportation, language, etc, etc. If you moved to New York to be an artist, how easy is it to find yourself swimming in the million details of daily life, and suddenly you wonder, "What am I even doing this for?"

And what's the answer? Well, I don't know. I imagine it's different for everybody. I will say this, though: we need less than we think we do. Never forget your quest, though. You can be cold and hungry, but the pursuit of your dream (again, big or small) will offer much satisfaction, whereas you can be warm and full, but if you're not in pursuit of what your heart needs, your soul will feel that lack, and an unsated soul is far more dangerous than an unsated stomach.

In other news, romance comes and romance goes. Sometimes the flux and flow is like the tide, and sometimes it's a rogue wave. Lately, though, I've been feeling like I'm just floating on my back in the middle of the sea. And I'm content with that. I'm not interested in paddling right now. I'm not in a rush to be anywhere. Currents are always at work, though, and land may be...

...anywhere.

Goodnight, from your tired friend.

-Brent 4.7.2007 4:37am

No comments: